Philosophy Behind the Headlines
This course will briefly introduce key ideas from the history of philosophy. We will discuss selected news stories, and consider what philosophical concepts and theories can contribute to our understanding of these stories.
Do I need any particular skills or experience?
- No skills or experience needed
- This course is suitable for beginners and improvers
- The course will help beginners but also anyone who has studied philosophy in the past is welcome to join in. There will be lots of opportunities for discussion drawing on student experience as well as the ideas introduced by the teacher.
By the end of the course I should be able to:
- Describe key philosophical ideas.
- Understand the background to some of the debates in philosophy
- Use philosophical concepts for analysis of political and cultural issues.
- Describe key news stories covered in the course.
- Describe and discuss different perspectives on the headline stories covered by the course.
Lecturer: Dr Dan Williams
Venue: Blue Beetle Room next to St Mary’s Church, Hendon
26 September – 5 December 2019
Thursday from 14:00 (2 hours)
Course organized by WEA (Workers’ Educational Association)
If you are interested in philosophy and you would like to discuss news stories, please go to the WEA website for further details: